What to Look for in a Personal Injury Attorney
There are specific traits that you should look for in a personal injury lawyer including:
- The attorney should be knowledgeable about accident-related injuries. If you need a truck accident attorney then seek one with that specific experience.
- The attorney should have certification in personal injury litigation.
- The attorney should be familiar with insurance policies, companies, and coverages.
- The attorney should have an excellent understanding of the law and court experience.
- The attorney should have good credentials. (Specifically, prior case experience with favorable outcomes for their clients.)
- Does the attorney charge you for your first consultation? Most personal injury attorneys work on contingency – meaning, they only get paid after they win a settlement on your behalf.
Asking the Right Questions to Your Personal Injury Attorney
In addition to the qualifications a lawyer should have you may want to ask a series of questions to an attorney that includes:
- How often do you go to trial? This will show the amount of experience your attorney has and insurance companies keep track of attorneys that spend time in court for faster settlements.
- What’s your current caseload? Attorneys that have too many cases can be bogged down and unable to go to trial, or may miss deadlines, which can cause further problems.
- Will you tell me when an offer is made? It’s important that your attorney has an open line of communication to let you know when an offer is made no matter how big or small.
- If you accept my case and can’t reach a settlement, will you take the case to trial? This is an important question as your attorney has a responsibility to protect you and your best interests at heart.
- How long do expect my case to take? Most attorneys have a general idea and should be able to give you some type of time frame for your case.
Make Your Decision
Not all personal injury cases are the same. Make sure to do the proper research and ask the right questions to have the best outcome for your legal situation. Make sure you like the personal injury attorney and feel confident that he will work with you to handle your case.